Skip Navigation Links
Skip navigation links
News Videos & Photos
Service Member & Family Support
Join Our Team
Joint Force
Army Guard
Air Guard
164 RTI
Job Listings
Contact Us
Skip navigation links
ND National Guard State Tuition Assistance Application
Education Services
Veterans Benefits
Veterans' Adjusted Compensation
Veteran License Plates
Veterans Cemetery
Military Funeral Honors
How do I become a member of the MFH Team?
AP3 Program
Funeral Directors
Bookmark and ShareMilitary Funeral Honors  
NDGuard > Benefits > Military Funeral Honors
 Military Funeral Honors Soldier Picture

Honoring Those Who Served

We consider it a privilege to provide military honors to our deceased Veterans


Provide professional Military Funeral Honors to eligible veterans when requested by an authorized family member

The Rendering of Military Funeral Honors is a way to show the nation's deep gratitude to those who have faithfully defended our country in time of war and peace. The ceremonial paying of respect is the final demonstration that a grateful nation can provide to a veteran's family.


Military Funeral Honors have always been provided whenever possible. However, the law now mandates the rendering of Military Funeral Honors for an eligible veteran if requested by the family. As provided by law, an honor guard detail for the burial of an eligible veteran shall consist of not less than two members of the Armed Forces. One member of the detail shall be a representative of the parent Service of the deceased veteran. The honor detail will, at a minimum, perform a ceremony that includes the folding and presenting of the American flag to the next of kin and the playing of Taps. Taps will be played by a bugler, if available, or by electronic recording.


- Military members on Active Duty or in the Selected Reserve.

- Former military members who served on Active Duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.

- Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.

- Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.


Family members of the deceased veteran should first notify their funeral director of their desire to have Military Funeral Honors rendered.

There is no cost to the veteran's family to have Military Funeral Honors provided by the military or Veteran Organization.

The family should provide the funeral director with the following information, if available:

Name of deceased, date of birth, social security number, form DD 214 (discharge), or any other proof of veteran status or eligibility for burial honors.

Family members that are not going through a funeral home, should call:

Toll Free Number: 1-866-963-4977

Application for United States FLag for Burial Purposes
VA Form 21-2008 Click Here

Presidential Memorial Certificate Request Form
VA Form 40-0247 Click Here

Military Funeral Honors Website
Military Funeral Honors Website (sponsored by Department of Defense)
Last modified date: 5/21/2014 5:38 PM 
Diversity Privacy & Security Notice External Links Disclaimer  |  Accessibility Information  |  FOIA Information
Twitter Flickr Facebook YouTube RSS Feeds
All content on this site is public domain and may be used freely. This is an official DoD entity. Please note that the use of information or any email address on this site for other than its intended purpose is forbidden by Federal Law.
North Dakota National Guard | P.O. Box 5511, Bismarck, ND  58506-5511 | 701-333-2000