1883 - Company A, First Regiment, Dakota National Guard, is organized at Bismarck, Dakota Territory.
1889 - North Dakota becomes the Unions thirty-ninth state. The North Dakota National Guard was organized and included six infantry companies, two cavalry troops, and one artillery battery.
1898 - Eight infantry companies of the First North Dakota Regiment are mobilized for the Spanish-American War and the Philippine Insurrection. The Regiment earns thirty-nine silver battle rings for its guidon and ten members of the First North Dakota Infantry Volunteers are awarded the Medal of Honor.
1904 - 1,500 acres near Devils Lake was ceded to the State of North Dakota by the federal government for use as a permanent military reservation for the North Dakota National Guard. The camp was known as the Rock Island Military Reservation, (later renamed Camp Gilbert C. Grafton in 1921).
1916 - First North Dakota Infantry Regiment was ordered to active service at Mercedes, Texas, on the American-Mexican Border to protect American lives and property against the notorious Mexican bandit, Poncho-Villa.
1917 - The First & Second North Dakota Regiments were ordered into federal service for World War I. The First North Dakota Regiment was renamed the 164th Infantry Regiment, and the Second North Dakota Infantry Regiment was disbanded. North Dakota soldiers were involved in fighting at Cantigny, Sossions, St. Mihiel, and the Meuse-Argonnes Offensive as members of the 41st Division.
1937 - The former Bismarck Indian School site and buildings were transferred from the federal government to the state of North Dakota for use by the North Dakota National Guard as its head-quarters. The site was renamed Fraine Barracks in 1945.
1941 - The North Dakota National Guard's 164th infantry Regiment and the 188th Field Artillery Regiment were mobilized for service in World War II. 776th Tank Destroyer Battalion formed from batteries F and H of the 188th Field Artillery Regiment. The 776th went on to spend more then 550 days in actual combat in Tunisia, Italy and Central Europe.
1942 - The 164th Infantry Regiment landed on Guadacanal to reinforce the First Marine Division at Henderson Airfield. The regiment became the first US Army unit to take offensive action against the Japanese during World War II.
1943 - The 164th Infantry spearheaded the Americal Division's island hopping against the Japanese in the South Pacific. The 188th Field Artillery Regiment was split up into the 188th Field Artillery Group, the 188th Field Artillery Battalion, and the 957th Field Artillery Battalion.
1944 - Members of the 188th and 957th Field Artillery Battalions landed on Utah Beach and participated in the Cherbourg Offensive and the Battle of the Bulge while driving onward to Germany.
1945 - World War II ends with the surrender of Germany and Japan. North Dakota National Guard units are released from active duty and return home.
1950 & 1951 - Units of the North Dakota Army National Guard, including the 164th Infantry Regiment and the 231st Engineer and 188th Field Artillery Battalions were ordered into federal service for the Korean Conflict.
1955 - The North Dakota Army National Guard underwent a major organizational change - all of its units were converted to engineers.
1960 - Elements of the North Dakota Army National Guard were ordered into federal service for the Berlin Crisis. The 116th Public Information Detachment is formed.
1965 - Provisional Aviation Detachment organized.
1971 - Provisional Aviation Detachment becomes the 142nd Medical Detachment (Air Ambulance). 116th Public Information Detachment changed to 116th Public Affairs Detachment.
1983 - The North Dakota National Guard received funding from the state legislature to purchase land in Eddy County. Today the "new" training area is known as Camp Grafton South.
1984 - Company D, 141st Engineer Battalion, NDARNG, received the Itschner Award as the most outstanding engineer-sized unit in the Army National Guard of the United States.
1985 - The 142nd Engineer Battalion was organized with companies located at Grand Forks, Fargo, Michigan, and Minnesota.
1987 - Company B, 141st Engineer Battalion, NDARNG, receive the Itschner Award.
1988 - 1st Battalion 188th Air Defense Artillery and the 136th Quartermaster Battalion (Water Supply) were organized as elements of the NDARNG.
1989 - Task Force 164 coordinated civilian and public works missions in Honduras.
1990 - Company A (-), 2nd Battalion, 137th Aviation and Detachment 3, HHC, 2nd Battalion, 137th Aviation organized as elements of NDARNG. The 142nd deactivated and reorganized as the 1214th Medical Battalion.
1990 - The 136th Quartermaster Battalion (PM) (Water Supply) including the 132nd and 134th QM Companies and the 131st and the 133rd QM Detachments, the 818th Medical Battalion, and the 191st Military Police Company were mobilized for service in Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Work was started on the North Dakota Veterans Cemetery located near Fort Lincoln State Park south of Mandan.
1991 - The 842nd Medical Detachment was mobilized for federal service at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
1995 - 1214 Medical Air Battalion and 137th combined to form 1-112th Aviation Battalion, (light utility helicopter).
1996 - 116th Public Affairs Detachment is inactivated and reorganized into the 129th Public Affairs Detachment. 129th Public Affairs Detachment activated and deployed for federal duty in Bosnia.
1997 - Over 2300 members of ND National Guard activated for blizzard and flood duty in the largest state activation in North Dakota history. 129th PAD return from Bosnia. 191st Military Police Company inactivated.
2000 - 156 members of Company B 142nd Engineer Battalion were mobilized for service in Kosovo to assist in road building and reconstruction.
2001 - Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and The Horn of Africa
2003 - Operation Iraqi Freedom